Marsh Foundation Staff Hold Weight Loss Competition
VAN WERT, Ohio – Employees at The Marsh Foundation recently concluded a 14-week weight loss competition on campus. More than 205 pounds were lost by 14 participating staff members.
Each year, The Marsh Foundation staff undergo a health assessment provided by the organization’s insurance carrier. The informational assessment provides statistics about employee weight, cholesterol, sugar and other health risks. As with most segments of society, being overweight is a common problem.
In an effort to encourage healthier, more active lifestyles, staff and trustees developed a weight loss competition to be held on campus for employees. The program began in January and included weekly weigh-ins for participants. All staff were invited to participate and those who did were charged an entry fee and small fees if they gained weight at the weekly weigh-ins. Money collected was matched by The Marsh Trustees as an incentive.
Two monetary prizes were given to the top participants. Katrina Rupert won first place for losing 16 percent of her body weight. Joy Gordon won second place for her loss of 15.22 percent. Rupert won 70 percent of the money collected and Gordon won the other 30 percent.
Losing weight can be very difficult, especially when you’re doing it alone. This program provided a challenge including friendly competition but also accountability and motivation by reward. The program was celebrated by participants with a lunch at the Willow Bend Country Club.
Serving children and families since 1922, The Marsh Foundation is a not-for-profit children’s services agency that provides behavioral treatment in a variety of settings. Services include group homes, treatment and family foster care, an intensive treatment program and independent living. Located in Van Wert, Ohio, the organization’s group homes are licensed for up to a total of 30 children ages 7 – 17, offers an on-campus school for grades 2 – 12 and provides a variety of clinical services to group home residents, foster children and community members.
The mission of The Marsh Foundation is to inspire hope, to teach and to care for children and families. For more information about The Marsh, visit www.marshfoundation.org.